Eight Good Things That Happened in 2016
Since Election Night, I’ve read many negative Facebook and Twitter posts on how terrible 2016 has been. I don’t mean to step on any toes here, but I’m kinda sick of the negativity. Call me ‘polly positive’ here, but I managed to find a few positive things that happened this past year that will hopefully make you smile.
2016 was a year of change for me. If you told me this time last year that I was going to be moving back to Charlottesville and return to this wonderful station, I simply wouldn’t believe you. I was quite comfortable and content living on the beach in South Jersey, but God has a sense of humor, and thus He put me back home.
Instead of focusing on the negative, let’s all realize what we as a world have accomplished. Thanks to Buzzfeed, here are eight GOOD things happened in 2016:
1. Scientists may have found the gene responsible for ALS. And funding for the study came from the Ice Bucket Challenge.
2. We figured out a new stem-cell therapy that can halt the effects of Multiple Sclerosis.
3.. Solar panels in California started producing enough electricity to power six million homes, which is a new record. And a solar-powered plane flew around the world.
4. Back in July, volunteers in India planted 50 million trees in less than 24 hours.
6. Leonardo DiCaprio finally won an OSCAR for “The Revenant”. Obviously not everyone thinks he deserved it, but most people do.
7. Starbucks all over the country started donating their unsold food to food banks.
8. We’re closer to helping paralyzed people walk again. Just this week, scientists in Switzerland said they used a brain implant to help a paralyzed monkey walk again